Monday, February 15, 2010

So.. here I am in Ecuador, still doesnt seem real. But I love it! Last week I got a bit homesick but not much. Im still just adjusting to this new world. Its sooo different than anything I have experienced. Its HARD work. I feel like I was a bit naive to how hard it was going to be but in the end its all worth it. I rely on the lord every minute of every day... and it is sure making me stronger. Im falling more and more in love with the kids every day. Yesterday I had a moment where I was taking one of the handicap girls, Lucy, for a walk. While I was walking with her and listening to some uplifting church music on the sabbath, the spirit just hit me like a ton of bricks. I just realized that I am really here to help these people and kids and they have such a spirit about them. I love them so much and I cant wait to get to know each one more and more. I know it will be hard to leave this place but while it lasts I will make every minute count.

Ill tell you a little bit about what I do every day. I wake up at 615 and a bus comes and picks us up at 7am. The bus ride is about 15 to 20 minutes so we have a bit of time to wake up and prepare ourself for the day ahead. There are different orphanages we go to each day. I go a lot to a toddler orphanage which is ran by Catholic nuns and workers that speak only spanish, very difficult. They are from 5 months ish to 2 years. There are about 12 of them there. We moslty help with the 2 year olds. We feed them and change their clothes and diapers (cloth) yes very weird to me, and feed and brush their teeth, stuff like that. And of course play with them lots! We do get in trouble from cuddling with them too much which kind of is annoying because I just love them so much haha. Then we work at the same place with the kids from about 3 to 6. They are crazy. And I mean CRAZY! But again, I am falling in love with them...
The other orphanages are the 2 handicap ones and another toddler one which are all ran by OSSO, and LDS members live there and help keep everything running smoothly. Again, they all speak spanish which is really hard to connect with them. I really wish I could but its ok. We still communicate farely well and the kids actually understand a lot of english because of all the volunteers.
The other orphanage we go to is called HML which is an all girl orphanage from the ages of 6 ish to 18 when they can go out on their own. I have never felt so loved in my life than when you step through those doors there. The girls ADORE us they just absolutely love us and hang on us and hug us. You can tell they just desire love so much. They are amazing, beautiful girls. These are girls that come from abusive homes and drug addicted parents.... We have an activiy with them twice a week.
I work basically every day from 7 to 12, come home for a break and lunch until 2 then work from 2-6 and twice a week from 630-730. Its TIRING. But you feel satisfied after every day.
Culture shock is still there of course. They do things completely different from us! Here are a list of some things that I have noticed they do that I have never seen before in the states:

Dont have a speed limit
Honk for NO reason whatsoever, every minute
Never wear seatbelts
Kids riding on motorcycles
Wash in rain gutters
Sing kareoke at 4 in the morning, drunk, SO LOUD, right outside our window
Layer clothing upon clothing on children even when its 80 degrees outside
eat rice for EVERY meal
Never flush their toilet paper
Taxi rides for 1.50
and much much more....

0 comments: